I have not tried this recipe as yet, but posting it without delay because I think it will make someone or other happy :) I am told it is very simple and very tasty. The recipe is Indonesian, and it was translated from Dutch to English for me by a Dutch friend of a friend - I have met her just once. Thanks so much, Rixt!
- 1/2 kg green beans,
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small can (70 grams) of tomato puree
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk and
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 table spoons peanut butter
- Wash and cut the ends of the beans and cut in half. Cut onions in small chunks, as well as the garlic.
- Fry onions in some oil untill transparent and tender. Add garlic.
- Add tomato puree and soy sauce. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in coconut milk. Add the beans together with 2 tbspoons of peanut butter.
- Stir and cook slowly for 10 minutes or until beans are soft but still chunky.
The dish is not spicy at all, so I recommend to add some green chilly to the onion and the garlic, or serve with chilli flakes.
It's not part of the recipe, but I will roast some shaved almonds and shredded coconut and sprinkle that over the dish as a garnish, just before serving.
This goes very well with rice.