A cake you can't go wrong with! Fabulous and easy recipe by Satya Sadasivan - thank you! Turns out well every single time, everyone loved it. You could innovate a lot with this one, especially with the topping. And a great way to eat carrots. :) :)
- Eggs: 4
- Carrots: 2 cups peeled and shredded [the red Delhi carrots that come in winter are perfect for this]
- Sugar: 1 cup [I reduced this a bit and added more raisins for the sweetness]
- Brown Sugar: 1 cup
- Vegetable oil: 1 cup [I used my regular cooking oil]
- Flour (maida): 2 cups
- Baking powder: 1.5 teaspoons
- Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- Nuts: 3/4 cup [I believe it is good to lightly roast nuts first - especially walnut, will take away that slight bitter taste. I add a lot of raisins]
- Heat the oven in advance for 10 mins at 180 degrees, while you are preparing the mix.
- Apply a bit of butter on the baking tray, and then sprinkle some flour on it and spread - this is to make sure the cake doesn't stick to the pan.
- Sieve flour, salt, and baking powder together, so that the baking powder is evenly distributed.
- Roast nuts a bit if needed.
- Mix the oil and sugars well in a big cake-mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs thoroughly, scrape carrots.
- Add beaten eggs and carrots and nuts to the oil and sugar.
- Add the flour mix to it, mix everything really well.
- Now pour into the cake tray and bake for 45 mins at 180 degrees.
- Check with a fork - if it's still sticky, keep for another 15 mins.
- Leave the cake out to cool a bit and then cut. It will be a very soft cake, a bit moist.
- If you are creative, you can make a cream/icing topping - lots of scope to innovate there. :)