The most successful recipe of late, learned from my colleague Priya - real crispy, fragrant, highly nutritious, protein and vitamin-filled breakfast.
To soak overnight/for a few hours
- 1 glass tuvar dal
- 1 heaped tablespoon urad dal, for texture
- 1 heaped tablespoon uncooked rice, for crispiness
- Soaked dals and rice
- 1 piece ginger
- 1 red chilly
- 1 tablespoon saunf (fennel) (you can smell this once it grinds)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilly
- Some coriander leaves
- Some drumstick (muringa) leaves, or any other green leafy vegetable, or spring onion leaves
- Some scraped coconut, optional
- Some grated carrot, optional
- Mix chopped stuff and coconut with the ground batter, add salt and water, make it smooth enough to pour on a hot pan and spread thin.
- The adai should come out really crisp and fragrant.
- Have with chutney of your choice.